Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Virtual Week: Endgame

Virtual Week signifies the end of our semester. This semester has been quite the learning experience. First, I would like to thank Danny. You are an amazing professor; one of the best I've had yet! Listening to you in lecture made concepts clear and really understandable. I think the greatest characteristic you possess is that you know what it is like to be a student. You try to help us do well in this course, with your very helpful and ever-shifting grading scheme. I think your generosity will help out a lot of students when it comes to their final marks.

I think doing well in this course requires us to build a strong foundation out of the fundamentals in this course. I wish I had discovered this earlier in the term. I'm sure reading the course notes on a regular basis would have given me a great deal of help. By having the fundamentals in check, I'm sure any problem is not too far a stretch for our minds.

Looking back on this SLOG, I realize I actually really like the concept. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed Slogging every week; I didn't see it as a nuisance or a chore. Doing my SLOG on a weekly basis helped me express my emotions, from venting out my frustrations to celebrating on seemingly small achievements. Even if nobody from our course was reading, the facade of having someone out there to talk to was comforting, After reading several other SLOGs by different student, I realized that I wasn't alone in many cases.

Throughout the course, I have made great strides as a student. As some earlier readers may notice, I overcame my self-diagnosed chronic-procrastination with hard work and determination. After thinking of every course as a hurdle towards a degree, I took viewed every course as an obstacle. I wouldn't spend anytime trying to "stop and smell the roses" so to speak. However, looking back at the subject of Formal Languages and DFSAs, I actually enjoyed what we learned. I actually took what we learning as a way to be enlightened. I actually took the time to "stop and smell the roses". The sense of euphoria, which I had temporarily lost, has started to come back slowly. I am no longer a drone programmed to complete my task.

I feel confident going into examinations. I will pass this course and take my experiences with me. Hopefully I will take the optimism I gained from the last few weeks in this course, and apply to everything I do in my university career from now on. Devoting time to do more readings and finding ways to expand my thinking, will help me greatly in the near future.

Slogging has given me the impression of writing an open diary; I am able to express my emotions, as well as recapping the week that was in the course. At the same time, it was able to give me a window to my previous mindsets and goals. I am able to look back in this magical mirror, known as my SLOG, and see how I was before. I'm glad that I kept with Slogging and I think it is a really great idea. This is the last SLOG entry I will do, and surely I will miss Slogging. So for the last time everyone good luck with your exams and future endeavors, and wish me good luck as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment